Re: mgb & cal. smog test

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mgb & cal. smog test
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:54:44 -0700

> After about 7 months of looking for an MGB I finally found one.  I am proud
> say I've put a deposit down on a '66 MGB roadster.  Now the fun starts.
>First
> question: The dreaded California emmissions test.  The engine has a "hot
>street"
> cam.  How can I expect it to perform in the smog test?  I also heard the smog
> laws recently changed.  What's the worse thing that can happen if it doesn't
> pass?
>
> Happily concerned,
>
> Joseph
> Soon to '66B

Joseph,

First don't mention the cam to the tech. They will do a visual and for '66 there
is almost nothing required. (PCV is about it.) Chances are it can pass given
some
time to twiddle the carbs. Also, on the down side, chances are the tech hasn't a
clue about SUs. KNOW ABOVE ALL ELSE...IT IS THE SELLERS RESPONSIBILITY TO
PROVIDE
YOU with a current smog certificate!!! You can demand significant reduction in
price if the current owner cannot come up with a smog cert! '66 "should" be
easy.
It was the first year of almost any requirement. In fact you may luck out and be
exempt. Check with your local smog guy. They are the experts. (One would hope so
anyway.) I know my local smog guy is excellent. If you don't have confidence in
yours, shop around.

Good Luck,

Ken Boetzer