Head

To: Mg List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head
From: Rolf Schroeder/CANONGERMANY
Date: 26 Jul 96 15:34:43 EDT
Hi Keith,

i have redone many MG engines, so i can give you some little help with my=
=20
expirience.

To look for:

1. Cylinder head:
The cylinder head must be absolute clean and straight. to check this is a=
=20
little bit difficult, because you can't see it with the eyes ( best way i=
s, to=20
go to an engine repair.
If the surfae is not straight, let it regrind ( will cost about 40 $).
Look between the cylinder 3 and 4 (waterpump is n=F8 1) that there is no =
"burn=20
througt" (if yes please buy a new cylinerhead).

2. Engine block:=20
The block is not very critical look only forwar that it is absolute clean=
 and=20
between the cylinder bores is no "burn trough" (very rare)
look into the cylinder bores and if there are scratches in line direction=
=20
please contact me.
Feel at the top of the cylinderbores with your fingers if there is an "wa=
fe"=20
the engine must be rebored.

3. Head gasket:
You can see at the old gasket ( always looks poor) where the leaks have b=
een.=20

>> Some people are telling, to change bolts and rods.
      there is NO need for. ( the only thing could be happen is they brea=
k and=20
then you'll have a problem ......)

I hope you understand my very poor english.

Regards

- Rolf

Rover P4-60 1959, Rover P6-3500 1972, Austin A35 1959