Re: miget safety

To: henn0023@itlabs.umn.edu
Subject: Re: miget safety
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 15:07:03 -0700

> What can be done to make the safety level of driving a
> Midget at least bearable?
SNIP

Sell (or give) it to your ex-wife.?  :-)

>    The main point that frightens me is the solid steel
                         ^^^^^^^^^
> steering wheel a few inches from the driver's face. I was
> thinking of fitting some sort of crashpad on it much like
> a typical golf cart.
>
>    As well, is there any chance of strengthening the doors
> for side-impact protection?

SNIP

LBCs were not designed with safety in mind. :-(   Retrofiting something
that will actually do some good is NONTRIVIAL. I've heard of people
putting in "safety devices, roll bars etc that actually killed them. The
guy got rearended and the roll bar fractured his skull. Proper padding
in a headrest is important. Use something that won't give you too much
rebound. Ensolite (TM) or even polystyrene (as in ice chest) foam is good.
You don't want your face to be propelled forward into the horn button by
a real springy headrest.

SCCA has good guidelines for safety. Experience counts.

Be scared and drive accordingly! See ^^^^^ above.

Good luck,

Ken Boetzer