This'n'That

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: This'n'That
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 96 14:52:22 GMT
Dragging Brake

>I just returned this evening from a 200 mile drive from Charlotte.  As =
I was
>leaving Charlotte, I could begin to smell something hot that seemed be
>coming from the B.  Gauges appeared normal, drive on a few more miles,..=
>still smells hot.  When I pulled over the brakes had faded-- not good. =

Do you have a brake servo/booster?  I have known of two cars within a cou=
ple of
weeks where the servo was sticking on after braking until the pedal was =
given
light tap.

Subject:       [MG] Urgent ! Oil Pressure With Sythetic Oil

>Hi,

>I've just decided to splash out on some new 10W/40 oil. The
>oil in question is Castrol Magnatec synthetic.

10/40 seems awful thin, 15/40 in my daughter Metro is like water after =
20/50.

Subject: Daimler Roadster?

>     Last Friday, as I was biking home from work, I took the time to det=
our
>     to a small import dealer where I had seen a striking red roadster =
of
>     unfamiliar make.

>Michael, what you have seen is a Daimler SP250 roadster, known as the
>Daimler Dart in the UK.  These were built by Daimler in England,
>better known for their limousines.  The car was released in about
>1959, and remained in production through about 1964.

>What you have there is a Daimler SP250.  They're... unusual.

Rumour has it that the doors fly open when they go over a bump.

Subject: MGB wiring

>My son just smoked (literally) a significant part of the wiring on his =
(new
>to him) 80 MGB.  He thinks a wire grounded out due to the rubbing off =
of
>insulation.  I fried a part of a Midget's ignition wires many years ago =
due
>to a short.

I have read in several places that the feed to the overdrive solenoid is =

unfused, and because of the routing is liable to chafe. recommendation =
is to
fit an in-line fuse at the switch.

Subject: ARRGG! Stupid MGB Head

>  Hi everybody,

>       I've gotten a little frustrated trying to remove the head from my
>MGB engine.  All the manuals told me exactly what the problem was going =
>be, the the head will be stuck onto the studs, but none of the manuals =
offer
>any useful way to fix the problem.

Try undoing the head nuts so they are just clear of the head, fitting the=

plugs and cranking the engine over  on the starter.  Theory is that the =

compression lifts the head and the nuts stop it flying off!

Paul Hunt.