Re: BOUNCE mgs: Admin request

To: ek_john_luthy <luthy@cesd.servtech.com>
Subject: Re: BOUNCE mgs: Admin request
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 00:44:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, ek_john_luthy wrote:
>       Last summer while I was in Korea I drove in a car with an
> ADD ON AIR BAG! No kidding it was a clamp on device that was of course
> attached to the steering wheel. I really wanted to take the thing apart
> and find out how it worked but the young lady that owned the car didn't
> understand much english and I didn't speak much korean. So I may never
> find out how the thing was activated. As I remember it had the words "air
> cap" on it.

Yes, I read a test of such a device in a german car mag. They did a crash
test with it. It seems that it would hurt the driver more than it
would help, especially since the force of the deployment made the whole
assembly come off the steering wheel AND FLY OUT THE OPEN DRIVER'S WINDOW!

Ulix
P.S. You know how in MAD magazine, some characters often have the top part
of their head fly up (kinda like a lid)?  I often think about that when I
see the top of the windshield frame aimed straight at my forehead...

P.P.S. Uh Oh, some people are going to sell their Spridgets tomorrow,
after reading this, sorry.

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy