Re: Smog Hysteria

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smog Hysteria
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 09:33:19 -0700

> ...and on that note:  Has anyone ever made a full accounting of the
> pollution produced in the manufacturing of a new car?  All of it?
> Including the manufacturing of all the plastic, rubber, smelting,
> the electricity used in each step, etc.?

Between $17,000 and $25,000 worth. Actually this is pretty well understood.
Fairly simple accounting priniples apply.

>   How much pollution has each of us foregone by not buying a new car?

See above.

>   The auto industry would like us to believe that we can best contribute
> to the ecology effort by buying a new car every three years because
> a new car is incrementally less polluting than its predecessors.

In the fifties they tried to make us believe it was tail fins that made
the new ones worthwhile.

> So
> how long would you have to drive this new car to make the incremental
> difference worthwhile?
>   Any of you academics with access to Cray XMP's want to tackle this
> little simulation?

Simple accounting principles still apply. I don't need the Cray for that.
Of course I'm not an academic.  :-)

Cheers,

Ken