RE:engine idling

To: Nic.Pillinger@bartley.demon.co.uk, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:engine idling
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 09:34 PDT
>Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 09:04:00 BST
>From: Nic Pillinger <Nic.Pillinger@bartley.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: previous request for help

>after my previous request for help RE:engine idling to low when warm, >the
problem has now developed to engine won't idle properly under >load. The
engine idles fine until I depress the clutch at which point >the revs drop
to the 500-600 or lower.

>please can anyone come up with a solution to this problem???

>cheers

>Nic

>76 BGT

Nic, I missed your original theread on this so I may be of base...
   The idle dropping when the engine warms could be a timing change because
of sticking mechanical advance mechanism in the distributor, when cold, that
loosens and works differently when it warms up. It could also be the choke
not returning to the off position until the unit warms. If you have the
STROMBERG carb and it is the original choke, it is a thermally driven
device, driven by the water temperature. If you do not know the state of the
carb/choke assy, you might get a rebuild kit and overhaul it.
Your description of engine under load is not clear to me, are you just
refering to pressing the clutch pedal as the load? If you are, then you
probably do not want to hear this, this could be ONE of your problems.
My son had a similar problem with his 72B. It finally got to the point where
the engine would stall when the clutch pedal was depressed!. Guess what the
problem was.....worn out, throw out bearing (clutch release bearing).
We pulled the engine and sure enough the bearing and most of the casting
that the carbon bearing block is encased in, was shredded to dust in the
bell housing. The retaining clips were almost gone and the clutch release
fork was also worn to the point that a new release bearing would not fit in
the pivot points. One weekend shot! But it is now back on the road and
running fine. Hope this helps you.        Good luck - John.

E-mail jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com     John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.     **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **
 1969 MGBGT; 1974 MGB; 1976 MGB-RESTORED; 1979 MGB; 1972 MGB daily driver.