Re: MGB cooling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB cooling
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 21:08:01 GMT
>Is there anyone in the North Dallas area with a late MGB with twin factory
>electric fan s thatI could look at. I am considering updating my '73 to
>improve cooling.

>Ideally you want an electric fan to SUCK air through the radiator -
>therefore it should be placed BEHIND the radiator.

I'd been thinking about this, but didn't want to start an argument as to
whether 'planes work better with the propellers on the front or the back.

The RV8 has a large fan mounted behind the radiator that covers the full width
and height of the radiator (as much as a circle can cover a square, you know
what I mean).  I am sure it is less than two inches deep, including motor, but
the rad may be mounted slightly further forward than normal on original V8s.

Once my V8 fans cut in (usually in one of the permanent traffic jams on the
'motorway' round Birmingham UK) they don't cut out again until I am moving
again or switch off the engine.  But even when coming to a standstill after
travelling at 70mph (that's all I'm admitting to) on a 90F day, the needle
didn't go much above normal and neither did it boil.

The 'pushing' fans do loose a heck of a lot of air, has anyone fitted a shroud
and is it worth it?

Paul H.