Re: MGB Cooling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Cooling
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:53:37 -0600
At 02:04 PM 7/26/96 +0200, Simon wrote:
>     I have owned an unmodifed '74 MGB since '92. The only heating problem
>     I have ever had has been that the car will not heat up during British
>     winters. I don't understand all this discussion of extra cooling for
>     pre-75 cars.

I would agree with Simon on this one. I may live in Montana, but I have
drove considerable MG miles through the west and have seldom experienced
overheating.
It was only under extreme conditions that it overheated (not counting
cooolant leaks):

Driving up Hwy14A in Wyoming's Big Horn mountains - new construction ruined
this road. It used to be a great curvy road, now it goes straight up the
mountain in a 10-14% uphill grade. My BGT hates this road.

Road construction with the car idling for excess periods of time in 90-100
degree weather. Once I got up to 20-30 mph, the car cooled down.

Now keeping the temperature up in the winter is a different story, but I fix
that by covering about a third of the radiator front with a piece of cardboard.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/home.html