MGA Roll Bar

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Roll Bar
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 18:18:44 -0400
I autocross my MGA a lot with SCCA.  Since I started using real race tires
the sudden transitions and increased side loads are doing their best to toss
me out of my seat.  I dearly need to install a 4-point seat belt setup.  But,
SCCA does not allow any non-factory shoulder harness in an open car unless
you install a roll bar.  So now I'm soliciting for suggestions on a roll bar
installation.

Fairly high on the priority list is the continued use of the rag top.  I have
laid out a design for a roll bar where the main hoop is to be formed to
exactly displace the rear bow in the top frame, quite a tricky forming job.
 It alse requires cutting 4 or 5 holes in the steel tonneau, which I am
begrudgingly commited to do.  I'm sure some of you have installed a roll bar
in an MGA, but has anyone done it while still retaining the use of the rag
top?

For reference, I'm a tad short in stature, about 5' 6".  The SCCA height
requirement for the roll bar in a "convertible" is just 1" above the driver's
helmet.  I think the rear bow of the top frame is about 1-1/2" above my
helmet, qualifies for the height with a bit to spare.

Has any one done this before?

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA
Naperville, Illinois