Re: Motor Mounts

To: gsmit07@emory.edu
Subject: Re: Motor Mounts
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 11:06:08 -0400
Oh, no trouble atall. I just replaced all 3 in Rags.

Let's see. Loosen the rear motor mount under the car. Disconnect the exhaust
system from the body so it floats free. Preferably, disconnect the drive
shaft from the rear end. Drain the engine oil and coolant.  Disconnect the
lower radiator hose.

This sounds like a lot, but it's really pretty simple so far.

You need to raise the engine out of the car, about 2-3 inches. Not far atall.
 You'll want to loosen both front motor mounts, as much as possible, with the
engine in the car.  A couple of the nuts on the driver's side mount are
tricky, and of the two, this is the more difficult to replace (for several
reasons, not the least of which is the nut that's sort of behind the pinion
shaft).

There are two ways I can think of to raise the motor, both of which I've
done. One is to use an engine hoist, or what they call here in the South a
'cherry picker'. This involves wrapping a chain around the engine, attaching
it to the picker, and lifting straight up.  Of the two, I think this is the
more difficult.  The other is to use a floor jack, place it under the oil
sump with a block of wood to distribute the weight more evenly, and raise the
engine from below. Very straightforward.

After that, it's just a matter of unbolt, remove, bolt on.  It's not REALLY
that simple, of course ... those three steps involve a lot of knucklebusting
and swearing. Try not to move the engine forward or backward much with this
whole operation; there is a bit of adjustability in all three mounts, and you
don't want to put it back in cockeyed.  Don't hesitate to ask for specifics
when you get this far. I did this just last week.

And if that's not simple enough, well, you could get a mechanic, I
suppose....

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'