Re: Motor Mounts

To: RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Motor Mounts
From: "Blair Engle" <engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 14:32:00 -0500 (EST)
> I have a '53 TD that probably has the original motor mounts. How
> can I tell if they are bad? This is another one of those items I intend
> to replace when something goes that forces me to pull the engine.
>
> Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
> 53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
> 71 MGB, still in shop, 9 months and counting

Bob:
You don't have to pull the engine.  First to test if mount is good.  Look
and see of thr rubber is squashed out or gooey (technical term). Next rock
the engine sideways to see if their is excess movement of the motor mount
and also the check the condition of the mount under the water pump.  Lastly
jack up the car, place on jack stands and check the rear gearbox mount,
which are two rubber blocks in a box at the rear of the gearbox.  If all or
any of these mounts are bad, you will have a graby (another technical term)
clutch in first gear.
To replace the front mount:  Drain cooling system, disconnect water hoses,
front mount nuts, side mount assy.  Place jack under oil pan with wooden
board between jack and pan, and lift engine far enough to remove front
mount.
Rear mount replacement is a little more complicated.  Refer to you shop
manual.
Press on regardless,
Blair
Blair Engle                                  engle@phy.fsu.edu