1st Time MGB Owner

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 1st Time MGB Owner
From: dbavery@voyager.net (D.Bavery)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 23:55:03 -0400 (EDT)

>I recently purchased my 1st MGB - a 1978.  It needed some work and most was
not that bad - new clutch assm, front rotors and pads, and some minor
things.  What I now face is a little more tricky and I definately need some
help.
1) The speedometer started jumping up and down from about 10MPH to 45 or 50
MPH.    I figured it was the cable that broke.  I pulled the cable and its
not    broken.  I checked the top when traveling down the road and it does
not turn    so its something by the transmission which is the problem.  Any
suggestions     where to check next?
2) There is alot of heat reflected off the catalatic converter.  It has
melted     a three way vacuum hose connector near by twice.  Any ideas why
this is so      hot?  Is there an exhaust system made which eliminates the
convertor or can't    I do that?
The car is great when running but right now its just HOT in the wrong ways.