RE: 1st Time MGB Owner

To: mgs-owner <mgs-owner@autox.team.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1st Time MGB Owner
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 10:09:00 -0700 (PDT)
1) It sounds like the speedo cable is binding causing it to windup and
release. My speedo started jumping at about a 15 MPH bounce. Replacing the
cable fixed it the first time but when it came back a few months later I
discovered that the speedo was messed up. the gears inside had gotten chewed
up. They can be fixed though. Try replacing the cable and make sure that
there are no kinks or tight curves in it.

2)Your cat might be getting clogged. Of course they are supposed to be hot
but if your car had been burning oil or running rich you could have buildup
on the inside causing back pressure. How does your car run? Do you have loss
of power at high RPMs? Just an aside... My friend put a new manifold and
Holley carb on his 78 Monte Carlo a few years back. He set the mixture
himself. About two weeks later he awoke one morning to find that his car had
burnt up. The cat melted through the floor and started a fire which made the
inside very crispy. Many people with late model Bs convert to Webers which
require a new header eliminating the cat. You would be removing required
emissions equipment though, and in most states that a no no. So legally, you
can't do that but most people do. If you live in CA or some other emissions
control state I would check first before rendering my car unregisterable.

Chris Reichle