airpump thing ???

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: airpump thing ???
From: Wendelgass Manfred <WENDELGASS@tcernd1.villingen.tce.de>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 96 14:59:00 PDT
Wisdom of list please give advice.

I have a 79MGB which has two drive belts. One for the water pump and
alternator and the second one for the " thing?" (airpump???).

I have planned to go on a big trip with my MG, for the 1. time, and
therefore I ordered some spare parts to take with, just in case of. So I
called  the auto shop and asked for the belts. The guy told me he just can
send me the normal drive belt and the other one is for the airpump and most
of the MG owners have removed that thing because it is useless. I can't
really believe.

What is that thing good for and can it really be removed?

I haven't found either the belt nor the "thing" in the Moss catalogue.

Manfred
'79 MGB
Black Forest, Germany