Rumbling Sound

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rumbling Sound
From: "Edward N. Burke" <newly@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 09:32:21 -0700
Last fall I noticed that when I took my foot of the accelerator I could
hear a rumbling coming from the back.  I talked with a mechanic who is
pretty knowledgeable and he said it could be the u joints.  I took the
drive shaft off last night and he looked at the u joints this morning and
said they were fine.  I don't notice the noise as much in the warmer
weather.  He thought maybe exhaust.  He said if the rear end was going
that it would be more of a high-pitched sound.  Any ideas on this one.
My wife and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary last night.  I
gave her a nice present and she had a nice card for me.  She wants to
know what I want.  Does a major rear suspension overhaul sound
reasonable?  I was planning to order the parts and I remembered it was
our anniversary.  I think I'm going to give it a shot.
                                          Newell Burke
                                           Worcester, Mass.
                                                 1973 MGBGT