re: airpump thing???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: airpump thing???
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 1996 22:23:57 -0400
At 02:59 PM 8/7/96 PDT, you wrote:

>What is that thing good for and can it really be removed?

If I'm following you correctly, this is your air pump.

The fellow at the shop is correct:  it can be removed, and many do.  Both of
my MGs had it removed before I obtained them.  I can't remember exactly what
they do, but I know they were adapted on later models to control emissions.
I wouldn't know the difference, but if it's removed, the car will run better
(more h.p., etc.).

If you decide to can it, keep in mind a few things:

1)  What are the emissions laws were you live?  You may have a problem with
the BMV if you take it off.  Fortunatley, my B's exempt where I live :).

2)  If you remove it, the car will no longer be to factory specs ie. they'll
probably be a bit upset with you at shows, etc.  If you aren't terribly
worried about this, like me, then move on to number 3.

3)  If it's removed, MAKE SURE the shop fills in/caps off ALL of the
abandoned vaccum holes in the manifold.  Otherwise, your B will be very
unhappy with you.  If the mechanic you take it to doesn't know what you're
talking about, get another mechanic.

Hop this helps!

Regards,

[       JASON DUTT       ]