Re: rear axles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear axles
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 22:52:28 -0500 (CDT)
>Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:52:51 -0400
>From: hovisa@nando.net (Allan R. Hovis)
>Subject: Rattle
>
>My 72 B with >100K miles has developed a rattle (for lack of better
>description) that occurs at RPM's over about 3500 and is most noticeable
>when you let off the throttle to change gears. It can also be heard when
>I downshift and the engine revs. It appears to be less under load but
>just reving the engine it can be heard. It sounds like a can with a
>couple of chain links in it being shaken. It is not very loud but seems
>to be getting worse. ANY new noise makes me nervous! Any ideas as to
>what this may be?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Allan R. Hovis
>hovisa@nando.net
>
>------------------------------

Allan,

I know this is late, but I've been in computer hell for the past three weeks
with a system upgrade.

If I were a betting man I'd say check the exhaust manifold connection to the
header pipe.  When it went on me I was describng it as "a bunch of washers
being shaken on a piece of allthread". And it was happening at about the
same places you describe.

Glenn
The universe is inherently funny.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com