Re: freeze plugs or core plugs

To: CaptWBK@aol.com
Subject: Re: freeze plugs or core plugs
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 22:34:04 -0500
CaptWBK@aol.com wrote:

> i am near the end of my engine rebuild.  all i need to do is put all of the
> pieces back together.  no problem, i have done it before on a midget and a B,
> however the last time i had my machine shop put new freeze plugs in.  this
> time i have to do it.  i have looked in two different shop manuals and no
> hints on how this is accomplished so i must be the only person in the world
> who does not know. my best guess is line them up and hit them with a hammer,
> but i only want to do this repair one time.
>
> Scott,  1974 MGB Roadster

Scott -
        Recently finished mine.  Put the plugs in with the curved side
outward.  Use a socket slightly smaller in diameter than the plugs to
tap the plugs in until they are seated.  Then get two hammers (one
should be a ball peen).  Place the flat face of the ball peen hammer
squarely on the face of the plug.  Strike the ball of the hammer with
the other hammer.  Don't use too much force.  Repeat as necessary.  The
goal here is slightly flatten out the curve of the plug.  This will
increase the diameter of the plug enough to wedge it securely in the
head.  Make sure the seating surface is _really, really_ clean before
putting in the plug.  I coated the inside of the plug and the seating
surface with Permatex Aviation Gasket Seal before installing.  This was
on the advice on an experienced mechanic that I know.  However, Mr. John
Twist recommends putting them in dry.  Use your judgement on this.  I
have also heard recommendations to paint the inside of the plugs to
prevent or reduce rust.  Probably isn't necessary with modern coolant
mixtures.

        Good Luck ---

Wayne "Ain't no fluids gonna leak from MY freeze plugs!" Kube
'79B
Plano, TX