HIF4 No workie...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HIF4 No workie...
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 10:27:12 -0400 (EDT)
  Friends,

  I didnt have any plans on Saturday, I knew the B was runnning very
  rich (sooty plugs, hard warm starting, etc.) so I figured I'd spend
  the morning and tune the carbs on my B.

  Armed with the Haynes SU manual, the Bentley factory manual, a
  fistfull of SOL tech articles, and a pot of Kona coffee, I figured
  this would be a breeze.

  Guess again.

  After much frustration, err.. tuning, the engine still runs, but
  just barely- it is now hard to start, idles very rough, and stalls
  if not throttled above 1500.  Overall, it sounds and runs awful-
  like it is pinging constantly.

  I tried to follow the mixture setting procedure, but it differs in
  the Haynes/Bentley manuals.  The SOL articles reference HS4's.

  Bentley says to set the fuel mixture on both carbs to full rich
  (mixture screw all the way in), then back it out (2) complete turns.
  The car will not start with these settings.

  The Haynes book says to set the jet flush with the 'jet guide',
  then back it out two complete turns.  The car coughs, but will
  not run at this setting either.

  I cant determine it I am setting things too rich or too lean.
  After some fiddling, I managed to get it to run, but it shakes,
  misses, and dies without constant throttle frobbing.

  Some background, to set the stage:  I checked/set all of the stuff
  that the manual/articles say to do first:  tappets set correctly;
  compression is 160/158/160/160; timing +12 BTDC (via strobe); rebuilt
  HIF4s w/ grose jets (throttle shafts ok, etc).  New plugs and wires,
  Lucas sport coil; new distributor, points and plugs gapped Ok.
  Vaccuum advance line plugged.  Choke pulled out, blah, blah....
  I checked the *really* obvious: (gas-a-plenty at the carb feed,
  grounding plug wires to ensure spark, etc.

  :-\ I have no idea what I am doing wrong.  I'd say I have an above
  average mechanical aptitude (I figured if I could rebuild the engine,
  I could surely rebuild and tune a measly pair of carbs).  I was very
  meticulous during carb assembly (setting the float height, etc).

  The car ran Ok last week, but with all of the classic signs of a very
  rich mixture.  Someone please help me, before I rip these off and heave
  them across the garage!

  Thanks in advance,
  Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com