Re: ammeter wiring question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ammeter wiring question
From: Pete Alberda <palberda@remc7.k12.mi.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 16:16:38 -0400 (EDT)
>Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:38:07
>To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
>From: Pete Alberda <palberda@remc7.k12.mi.us>
>Subject: Re: ammeter wiring question
>
>At 12:53 PM 8/14/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>Fellow fiends:
>>
>>I'm thinking of installing an ammeter in my '63B (you know, the thinking
>>man's sports car).  I have kept my car with (+) ground (wouldn't have it any
>>other way; if it was good enuf for Thornley (sp?), its good enuf for me).
>>However... does this matter to the gauge?  I mean: are there (+) earth
>>ammeters and (-) earth ammeters or will any old ammeter do?
>>
>>If you're on Brit-cars, post back to me directly, as I'm not currently a
>>subscriber; just livin' in the tall cotton over on MGS...
>>
>>many thanks,
>>Will Zehring

In order to install an Amp gauge, you need to run a wire from the output
terminal of the generator to the gauge and back.  This is called being
placed "in series" in electrical terminology.  The wire must be of the same
gauge as the original or you will be putting resistance into the system,
thereby lowering output.  Using too small of a wire may cause the wire to
get hot or even melt if there is enough output.  If the gauge reads
backwards, simply reverse the position of the wires on the gauge.
I myself prefer a voltmeter as then you are aware of the condition of both
the charging system and the battery at all times.  A voltmeter is connected
"in parrallel".  Most truck and heavy equipment manufacturers use voltmeters
for this reason.
Pete-'62 MGA