Re: Wire Wheels

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire Wheels
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 10:38:44 +1000
At 09:03  18/8/96 PST, you wrote:
>Hello:
>
>I wonder if anyone has had experience with "Dunlop-style" vs. Dayton
>replacement wire wheels?
>
>I intend to replace my worn painted wires with new painted wires and have
>a choice between these two. Are the Dayton wheels appreciably better,
>stronger...?
>
>Any suggestions appreciated.
>
>David F. Darby
>White River Valley
>1962 MGA mkII

There is no way I would buy a Dunlop wire wheel if I could get  Dayton wheel
at a competitive price.  My experience is only in relation to chrome wires
but the Dayton wheels have stainless steel spokes (so do not rust and can be
re tensioned later if necessary) and have a depth of chrome much greater
than the Dunlops.  Many/most of the Dunlops are made in India and are
characterised by poor chrome and significantly out of both balance and true.

The only trap with the Dayton wheels is that the centres are made right at
the tight end of the tolerance.  If you buy new hubs (other than from
Dayton) and they are also right at the tight end of the tolerance then the
wheels may not fit on the hubs ( I have actual experience of this).  Thus,
if you plan to buy new hubs also buy them from Dayton.

Hate giving the US such a wrap up on a product but in this instance it
deserves it!!

regards
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au