RE: Smog and Engine Size Question

To: "'mg'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Smog and Engine Size Question
From: "Randy Rees (Starwave)" <Randyr@starwave.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 14:50:00 PDT
Actually It's measured in parts per thousand, so yes any way you divide
it will be the same regardless of engine size. BTW it also varies based
on the year of the car, the computer knows what limits to set for a
particular year and pass/fail is based on that.

 ----------

With all the smog discussion lately, maybe someone can clear up
an on going argument here at work. If I understand it correctly,
emission pollutants are measured as a percent of the exhaust gas.
Does this mean that a 5 liter engine is allowed to produce
5 times as much pollutants (in absolute quantity) as a one liter engine?
I am making the assumption that the exhaust volume is related to
the engine displacement.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop 10 months and counting