RE: RE: Smog and Engine Size Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: RE: Smog and Engine Size Question
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 23:32:32 -0400
<From: etaylor@nr.infi.net (Ed Taylor)
<Subject: RE: Smog and Engine Size Question
<Which leads us to a discussion of the wonderful AIR PUMP, which was
<one way of beating the emissions guidelines without doing a thing to
<actually clean up the emissions from the engine.  The air pump simply
<injects air into the exhaust gasses, thus reducing the ppm of pollutants
<without actually reducing the volume of pollutants.  The same amount
<of hydrocarbons, CO, etc., are still present at the exhaust, there is
<just more air for them to be measured as a part of!!

I always understood that with the valve overlap necessary to produce optimum
power, some unburnt fuel would be left in the exaust gasses.  The purpose of
the airpump was to inject oxygen into the exhaust port of the head, where the
heat of the head, combined with the extra oxygen would promote the burning of
the gasses.  In this way the airpump was supposed to reduce HO2 readings.
 However, the thought does occur to me that if a side benifit was a way to
cheat the percentages, couldn't we install a smaller pulley on the airpump so
that it would increase the volume of air as you said?  Or, perhaps hidden
somewhere under the car, attatch a fitting to the exhaust pipe hooked to a
more efficient air compressor, and REALLY throw the readings out of whack!!!

David Riker
69 Midget