Re: [MG] SLOW DEATH

To: Tim Moses <moses@csra.net>
Subject: Re: [MG] SLOW DEATH
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 23:51:09 -0400
At 11:17 AM 8/19/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>        Have a problem.  '79 MGB with Zenith Carb starts and runs ok at idle
>with air filter removed.  Once I put the filter in the canister, it dies a
>slow death with increasingly blacker smoke.  No power; won't tach above
>4000rpm.  Put it in gear and let out the clutch SLOWLY, it just dies.
>
>        Have rebuilt the carb, adjusted the float and the idle speed set
>screw all according to specs.  Installed new Needle and Grose Jet.  All seem
>OK.  Have adjusted the mixture settings so much, I don't know where I am.
>
>        Could it possibly be the water controlled choke?
>        Do I need to "zero" all the mixture setting screws and start anew?
>Any assistance greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem with my '79, although not as bad as yours sounds.
I'd definately point you to the choke; those things always go bad.  If I
remember right, the coil spring in there tends to get mishapen, and wond
expand properly to turn off the choke.  The remedy, unfortunately, I can't
remember.

Before you do any more tinkering with the carb (or choke, for that matter),
you should set all the adjustments to neutral.  Adjusting it does you no
good without a point of reference:  trust me, I learned the hard way <g>.

Regards,

[       JASON DUTT       ]
[ simjason@ix.netcom.com ]
  \  1972 MGB Roadster /