Again - MGA Cooling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Again - MGA Cooling
From: Ed McCarroll <EMCCARROLL@magnum.mco.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:32:51 -0400 (EDT)
        I am running a 50-50 mix of coolant and water in the cooling system
        and still experienced a gradual climb from 195F to ~212F over
        a 3hour trip at 70mph.   This despite using water wetter, a three
        row core in the radiator, and a new 7lb rad. cap.   The block has
        been back flushed, the fan turns in the proper direction, and
        I have added temporary shrouds behind the intake grill.   I have
        recently received the suggestion to change the coolant-water mix
        to 90-10 respectively.   It was said that modern cars run on these
        ratios and that modern coolants do a better job and 90%coolant
        would not hurt.   I was advised that the MGA specifications on the
        50-50 mix have become obsolete with the advances in coolants and
        the 90% coolant mix would make major differences in engine
        operating temps.   I would like to know what some list members are
        running in their cars and am interested in hearing their opinions
        on changing the ratios and how this produces the desired effect.