Re: Again - MGA Cooling

To: "MG Autos" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Again - MGA Cooling
From: John Knight <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 96 08:57:19 -0400
Ed wrote:
>I have
>recently received the suggestion to change the coolant-water mix
>to 90-10 respectively.   It was said that modern cars run on these
>ratios and that modern coolants do a better job and 90%coolant
>would not hurt.   I was advised that the MGA specifications on the
>50-50 mix have become obsolete with the advances in coolants and
>the 90% coolant mix would make major differences in engine
>operating temps.

WHOA!  I'm not sure where this source of yours got its info.  This =
90/10 suggestion is DANGEROUS!  The only real advancement in coolants =
is in the form of rust protection, how soon it turns acidic, and in =
its toxic nature.  There has been advancements in motors though, (GM =
Northstar=81 will run with no coolant by turning on and off cylinders =
to keep them cool.  Done by sequenceual Injection with Allunimum =
block and head + alot of sensors.)

The purpose of the antifreeze is to prevent rust formation and to =
raise/lower the boiling/freezing points respectively.  It modifys the =
properties of the water allowing it to perform better.  Antifreeze =
will NOT conduct heat and cool your motor, plain water works better.

A 50/50 mix is for "standard" conditions, and 70/30 is for "Heave =
Duty" conditions, ( which include the likes of taxis, small motors, =
as well as environments with high/low temps).  Anything above 75/25 =
drops the performance of the cooling system until it is worse than =
water alone.  PLEASE! do not put in anything stronger than 70/30.  =
This is the best mixture for all vehicles.

I do not have the test data in front of me or have it scanned to my =
computer, but if there is anyone who just cannot believe me and =
thinks a higher ratio shoud be used please eMail me.  I will try to =
get another copy from GM Engineering Headquarters for you.

John "where do some people get their ideas?" Knight
Spell checker (English and American) OFF

"If uniqueness makes us who we are, why be like everyone else?"
'73 MGB (under restoration)