Re: Final words on Midget tranny swap?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Final words on Midget tranny swap?
From: Alan Tong <nlamgc@picotech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:02:04 +0000
Trevor,

Sorry, but you can not (easily) fit a jap 5 speed box to a 1500
midget, there is a kit for the 1275 though.  For the 1500 the best
idea is to fit a overdrive and gearbox from a Triumph Spitfire / Herald
etc.  The overdrive required is a Laycock J type.  It is not quite a
bolt in job as the gearbox mounts are in the wrong place, but well
within the average owners capabilities.

I have two converted midget 1500s, both times I used a kit from
Nottingham MG centre (UK).  I dont have the address/phone no here,
but if you need it let me know.

Regards
Alan Tong

1996 MG F    (7th one made)
1977 Midget 1500   (120mph top speed!)
1976 Midget 1500   (recovering after an argument with a truck)