MGA Starter Switch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Starter Switch
From: John Saxon <jsaxon@acay.com.au>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 17:51:31 +1000
Hello all,

>If you everhave a similar problem to me ie a failed stater switch just when
you are about to leave for the BIG parade -see previous post - instead of
tearing it apart (and ruining it) try the following:

>Inside the switch are two large copper terminals plus a round copper washer
fixed to the centre pull shaft. In operation, the rod pulls the affixed
washer against against spring pressure against the terminals and creates the
path for the power to the starter.

> What had happened to mine was that over many years all the arcing had
caused a buildup of crud between the terminals and the washer and so it
failed at the worst time.

>If I had of known how it was made up inside, I would have attached a
battery drill to the rod, pulled on it and rotated the rod at a slow speed
both ways a few times.

>I think that would have fixed it and also saved me $90.
>
>Just to let you know.

Best regards,

 John.