RE: 59 MGA

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 59 MGA
From: "Unger, Larry G @ MAN" <UNGERL@Reston.UnisysGSG.COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 96 18:08:00 EDT
>I'm new to the MG newsline and was wondering how much
>expertise there is out there concerning MGA's.

... depends upon your definition of 'expert' <g>

>[snip] ... Ed didn't notice, that the engine tag says 18G and
>that there are pipe plugs in place above the exhaust ports for
>the air injection equipment - looks to me like a MGB engine
>was slipped in.  Any way to tell what year "B" this engine
>came from?

... what is the engine number?  ... we can get a pretty good
idea from that ... unless the DPO changed it.

>It has SU carbs on it but don't know if they're from the "A"
>or the "B" engine.  It does have the original chrome MGA air
>filters in place.

... original air filters were not chrome ... they were painted
and of the 'pancake' variety ... difficult to get 'B' filters under
the hood of an 'A' ... any indication that they may be K&N
filters?

>How does this transplant affect the value of the car?

... depends ... if you are a 'purist' then obviously it has an impact
... but the 'conversion' is not uncommon ... provides increased
performance over the 'stock' engine ... and, if it was done
properly, easy to convert back.

>One last question, it has an electric tach installed - looks just
>like the one my old '65 MGB had.  My experience with older
>Healys and early Sprites shows those cars having mechanical
>tachs.  Did MG use electric tachs in 1959 or is this another
>"improvement" by the PO?

... 'A's were fitted with a mechanical tach that is driven by a
gear on the cam ...  the 'B' engine did not have this drive gear so
... you guessed it ... the DPO utilized a 'B' tach ... IOW, installation
of the 'stock' tach would require replacement of the cam.

Welcome to the ranks ... enjoy ... let me know if I can be of any
further assistance.

larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'62 MGA 1600 MkII