'78 Midget front trans leak

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '78 Midget front trans leak
From: "MIKE_J2@SFOV1.VERIFONE.COM" <MIKE_J2@sfov1.verifone.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:43:24 -1000
I walked out to the Midget this AM for the morning commute and noticed
a puddle of fluid.  Looking under the car I find it came from the front
of the transmission &/or from the bellhousing.  I thought I noticed a
little light clutch chatter yesterday, probably just starting to get a
little lubed.

So,  looks like I'll be pulling the engine/trans assy.

Questions:
1. My assumption is the front input shaft seal on the trans, sound correct?
   Does anything else usually go out on the transmissions?

2. Probably do the clutch assy while I'm in there, clutch disk, plate,
   throwout bearing, pilot bearing/bushing. Anything else to check?

3. Are there any tricks to getting the engine/trans out in one piece?
   I assume the shift lever has to come off, radiator out, exhaust off,
   anything else?

4. Anybody want to buy a little white '78 rust-free Midget before I get
   into this repair?  Then I can go out and find a pre-65 LBC to work on.

And to think I just had the radiator out last weekend.  If one more motor
vehicle dies on me I'll be down to the bicycle, yee-haw.

Mike (glad I keep the hand cleaner handy) Jaquet
mike_j2@sfov1.verifone.com