RE: Speedo & Tranny

To: dwatson@feist.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Speedo & Tranny
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:13:46 -0400
<My 68 Midget has a '72-'73 1275 cc engine. My problem is that the
<speedometer reads about 10 mph fast at 50 mph. (i.e. when I'm going 50
<it reads 60.) Any ideas on what might cause this and how to fix?
<
<Also, I saw some thread on a conversion kit to put a Japanese 5-spd
<tranny into a 1275 Midget. Where can I locate these? What do they cost
<and what kind of Japanese tranny should I be looking for. I,m looking to
<rebuild my engine and this would be a good opportunity to look into
<this.

Dick:
As for the speedometer question, the engine swap wouldn't change the
speedometer reading.  MkI, MkII, and MkIII Midgets have the same speedometer
drive gear ratio in the transmission, it is 5/13.  If someone changed
speedometers, there are several that look the same, but were in different
makes of car (MGB, etc.) that drive off a different ratio.  There is a
sticker on the back of the speedometer that has three numbers on it, maybe
someone else on the list knows if this sticker matches the speedometer drive
gear ratio.  (Boy wouldn't that make life simple :-) ).

On your second question,  I installed the Nissan 5 speed in my 69 Midget.  It
requires a little cutting, and alot of creativity to get it all together.  I
failed to take notes and pictures during the process, but I added you to a
list of interested people so that the next time it comes out, I will take
measurements etc. and forward you the details. BTW, I still haven't figured
out how to get a working speedometer after the switch to the Nissan tranny,
so if you move forward and get that dilema solved, let me know.

The tech page listed with John Twist's tech tips also has a very detailed
instructions for installing Toyota engine/trans swap in a Midget.  The Nissan
swap requires far less cutting.

Dave Riker
69 Midget