Re: Racing MGA mods. & MGA price guessing

To: CMaster808@aol.com
Subject: Re: Racing MGA mods. & MGA price guessing
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 19:12:33 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-28 06:57:44 EDT, CMaster808 writes:

<< I was real impressed with your A at the Autox this last weekend, that baby
really screamed, either that or your just a tad crazy! >>

It does rather catch one's attention, the kind of thing that makes people
grab for their video cameras.  And you're right on both counts, it really
screams because I'm a tad crazy.  I suppose you noticed the funny noises when
it went into valve float at about 7400 rpm?

<< I've got a line on a 58 coupe that I'm thinking about for next years
project, any ideas as to a price?   All parts accounted for, surface rust,
project car. >>

I'm not a coupe guy, but I think they sell for about the same prices as the
roadsters.  They do have a certain appeal, but they're hot in the summer and
most people don't drive them in the winter after they're restored.  So I
guess the demand is still about the same as when they were in prodection, 15%
coupes and 85% roadsters, keeping the prices about even.

Here's my best shot at prices, all guesses assuming the car is complete:

Case A.)  Badly cancered, somewhat dammaged, and non-restorable, stored
outside for more than 5 years, frozen engine.  Parts car only.  $500

Case B.)  Light body damage, driven to the current resting place, stored
outside, not running for 5 years, some rust, several layers of paint
(cracking), in need of most fabric and rubber, restorable but condition of
mechanicals uncertain.  Reasonable starting point for a restoration project.
 $1,000-1,500

Case C.)  Same as above but driveable, at least around the block for
evaluation.  No loud noises inside the engine, gearbox working (3 good
syncros and light whining in 1st gear), no rear end noises, suspension moves
up & down on all 4 corners, brakes work well enough that you might consider
driving it home.  $2,000-$2,500.  Anyone owning a case B should try to make
it run, turning it into a case C.

Case D.)  Mechanically good enough to be driven daily on the street, should
have a servicable top, rusted rocker panels, good frame, shaby appearance,
excellent candidate for restoration.  $3,000-3,500

Case E.)  Daily driver, solid rockers (maybe some bondo), decent looking
paint (not ashamed to be seen in public), good top, servicable interior, all
instruments working.  This one should be driven some more years before
restoration.  $4,000-$5,000.

Case F.)  Body in good condition (maybe just a little surface rust), probably
restored once, many more miles since.  Nothing new but mechanically sound and
has presentable interior.  Nice daily driver.  $6,000-$7,500

Case G.)  Very nice daily driver, older paint job but looking good, little or
no noticable rust, nice top and interior, low mileage original (<50K) or
reasonable amount of mileage since restoration.  $8,000-10,000

Case H.)  Same as above but very nice paint and interior.  $10,000-$12,000

Case I.)  Recently restored, excellent condition all around but not a show
car (maybe 92 points).  $12,000-$13,000

Case J.)  Recently restored to show condition, concourse winner.
 $14,000-$15,000.  They don't stay this way long.  If youre going to drive it
very much, look for a G, H or I and save some money.

Variations:

a.)  MGA 1500 as stated, 1600 add 8%-10%, 1600 MK-II add 12%-15%, 1600 MK-II
Deluxe (Twin Cam chassis) add 20%, Twin Cam (see item d below).

b.)  Wire wheels can add or subtract $500 depending on their condition (check
the splines closely).

c.)  Factory aluminum hardtop, add $500.

d.)  If there's a Twin Cam engine involved, add $10,000 and grab it before it
gets away.

Now let the opinions roll!

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA