RE: GT or not GT

To: "Randy Rees (Starwave)" <Randyr@starwave.com>
Subject: RE: GT or not GT
From: Ernest Gilbert <barrister@lawref.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 96 09:15:25 -0700
Randy

If you had a 65 GT it would indeed be rare since none were imported that year.
What you have is what my clients call a number job. Someone has taken the
original serial off and replaced it with a roadster plate. No doubt it was to
avoid smog requirements. I have seen one other that way in southern Cal owned
at the time by a Reed Nichols, since sold. It is very tempting to do but only
possible if the donor roadster is currently or recently registered so that no
inspection is necessary. Most DMV inspectors are hip to the trick. Oh ya, It is
most criminal to do, but not a criminal liability to you if you bought it
unknowingly that way. And if DMV in Cal discovers it you might have a problem
keeping it registered. Probably have to get it re-registered with a CHP serial
after much inspecting and hassel. Since there are no secret numbers to verify
its original year they are going to put it in the most recent year possible and
make it a smog car.

Ernest