Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #365 Fri Aug 30 02:05:02 MDT 1996

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #365 Fri Aug 30 02:05:02 MDT 1996
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 19:19:15 -0400
mgs-owner@triumph.cs.utah.edu wrote:
> 3)  I drove about 75 miles tonight and the fuel gauge didn't seem to
> move.  Do these cars get that kind of mileage ?  I stopped for gas and
> filled it up, but the gas gauge didn't move.  Where should I start and
> what should I look for ?

  If you just filled it up, my midget works that way.

  The car gets great mileage anyways, so the gauge doesn't move
quickly. But the gas gauge doesn't start falling until after you drive
for a while. So if you fill it up, you can drive a long time without
seeing the needle anything but full.

  I dunno about 75 miles though...

> 4)  What is the conventional wisdom on tuning up the air/fuel mixture for
> the first time ?  Should I have a "professional" do it or do you just
> experiment (I am a chemist) to get a feel for what mixtures allow the car
> to run its best.

  This might not be popular on this do-it-yourself list, but any car
I've ever boughten goes right to a professional for the first
all around.

  I consider myself pretty capable, but it's hard to be capable on
a car you don't know that well yet. You don't know how it's supposed
to sound, or feel, and so on.

  Usually a good tune up and all around checkout costs around $250 to
get done right, just add it to the price of the car in your thoughts.
Then
you know your car better. You know how it's supposed to sound when
set up by somebody who has seen a hundred of them. You get useful
feedback
like "the gearbox is wearing, keep an eye on it but it's fine for now".

  Piece of mind. Lump in the inspection and tuneup with the purchase.
Take
it in to get inspected, if it specs well buy it and tell them to go
ahead
and tune 'er up.

  If you are spending $4k and up for a car, $250 is very cheap to make
the car that much more enjoyable right from the start.

PS TO THE LIST:
    The 1500cc engine bottom I am parting out is a 1975 Midget 1500
    engine, forgot to mention.

--
   Trevor Boicey             1992 Celica GT (95% of the driving I do)
   Computer Engineer         1975 MG Midget (95% of the repairs I do)