Re: MG-Y, worth?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG-Y, worth?
From: "James D. Howard II" <jhoward@argus.lowell.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 09:08:48 -0700 (MST)
My father has an MG Y, so I can tell you something about it.

Because they are rare, especially in the USA, and so few people know what
they are, their worth is highly variable.  The people who want to buy one
are usually T-type owners who want something to drive the whole family
around in.  They have a lot of mechanical parts in common with the TD -
in fact, the prototype TD was built on a Y chassis.

I would say they are not worth as much as a T series vehicle, and they
would certainly take a lot longer time to sell.  My dad bought his with
no intention of ever selling it.  He restored it, drove it to work every
day for eight years, and is now restoring it again.  He made a couple of
modifications to it to help it deal with modern traffic, which were
upgrading to MGB brakes (it is a *heavy* car, and the single leading shoe
drums don't work too well when they guy in front of you has four wheel
disks), and he tuned the engine to Stage II.

James Howard    jhoward@argus.lowell.edu
NPOI            Flagstaff, AZ