RE: Ottawa GOF TF mystery

To: bleckstein@monmouth.com
Subject: RE: Ottawa GOF TF mystery
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:59:50 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 1 Sep 1996 bleckstein@monmouth.com wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. Now the TF mystery,.
>
> For over a year the TF has a strange problem. After redoing the head ( I had
> burned valve and wanted a lead free head) the engine would break up on long
> straight runs of 4000 rpm when you increased the gas to make slight rises in
>the
> road. The car pulls up mountains at any rpm even 4500 for long periods
>without
> problems. The break up only occurs on relatively straight runs with a steady
>gas
> pedal followed by a slight increase to make the slight hill. What happens is
> suuden loss of power and a chainy pinging noise. If you push in the clutch
>and
> let the rpms drop to idle, then release the clutch the car recovers with full
> power. The engine never dies when this happens, and if you push on( without
> letting the rpms drop), the pinging continues .
>
> I have rebuilt the carbs, changed the floats, replaced the seat and needles,
> changed the plugs , points, rotor, cap, condenser, and coil.
>
> Most believe it is fuel starvation, and I have changed fuel pumps and cleaned
> all screens and filters including the tank screen.

> Mike Leckstein

Fuel starvation sounds plausible to me.  You might have gotten a bad
replacement fuel pump.  Alternatively, you might not be getting enough air
into the tank to replace the fuel that is being pumped out of it.  Next
time it happens, have your passenger reach back and loosen the gas cap.

Another possibility might be exhaust restriction.  Check for a family of
dead mice in your tail pipe.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910