Re: Fwd: Copper/Steel/Aluminum Lines

To: PVANDAL@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: Copper/Steel/Aluminum Lines
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 10:58:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 PVANDAL@aol.com wrote:

> What are the advantages and disadvantages of copper, steel or aluminum brake
> lines?   Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with either?

  I needed to replace the corroded/pitted lines on my 73 B.  I considered
  bending and flaring them myself using bundy-flex tubing, but decided
  against it after talking to my local Snap-On guy.  He said that safe,
  consistent ISO/bubble flares are difficult to make by hand.  Also, the
  flaring dies are expensive and very fragile.

  I considered the copper set sold by many LBC vendors, but they are
  not legal in some states.  I then found a company that would make
  them up in 304 aircraft stainless steel tubing.  These are exact
  CNC machine bent duplicates of the factory tubing.  They can
  duplicate just about any hydraulic line and fittings if you supply
  an original (or pieces thereof).  I bought a set and they fit
  great.

> What are the general attitudes of motor vehicle inspectors in the USA
> with regard to the material used?

  It depends on the state in which the vehicle in inspected.  Some
  states have *no* safety inspection, and for those that do, some
  are more strict than others.

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.