Sockets for hubb retaining nuts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sockets for hubb retaining nuts
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 1996 07:37:31 -0500
Jeff Fayne wrote:

> I need to purchase sockets to pull both the front and rear hub retaining
> nuts on a '70 MGB. Am I correct in my understanding that the fronts
> require a 1 1/8" socket while the rear is a 1 5/16" ?
>
> Will I need a special thinwall socket or will a standard Craftsman
> socket fit?
>
> Deepwell or std?

Jeff -
        Did this earlier this year on my '79B with wire wheels.  Don't
recall
the exact size on the front, since whatever I had in the tool box fit.
But the read did require a 1 5/16".  The only one I could find was a
3/4" drive, so I bought a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter.  Didn't want to spend $$
on a 3/4" drive ratchet.  The socket is a standard - wouldn't think 1
5/16" would be made in thinwall.  Don't need deepwell, either.  BTW,
this is also the size for the harmonic balancer bolt on the front of the
crankshaft, which is why I bought the socket in the first place.  Seems
like it worked somewhere else, too.  Maybe the steering wheel nut?
Anyway, felt a lot better about having to buy it when it was useful in
more than just the crankshaft location.

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX