MG TD -- rear axle seals

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG TD -- rear axle seals
From: jdean@cstone.net (John W. Dean)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:53:29 GMT
Hi:

I am hoping that someone out there can give me advice about resealing
the rear axle on a TD.  I'm not a newbie at this sort of thing, but I
figure some people may have developed some improvements on the original
design.

The oil was running down the shafts and getting on the brakes -- it did
not seem to be leaking at the lip seals.  Since there is no inner seal,
it appears that the tapered collet-looking thing that butts up against
the bearing is supposed to do this job.  I guess the metal-to-metal
contact against the bearing was meant to stop the oil.

My plan at this point is to smooth the end of the tapered piece (which
had some wear), and then to put a modern, plastic sealer like Hylomar,
Curil, or Loctite Gasket Eliminator between it and the bearing.  Anyone
have a better idea?

John Dean
Charlottesville, VA USA