Re: Stereo installation...?

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Stereo installation...?
From: donmathis@lucent.com
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 09:55:31 -0400
At 11:56 PM 9/9/96 -0400, you wrote:
>        Here I am again, filled with questions. ;)  It's always the same:
>once a puzzle gets in my head it won't go away until I get an answer...
>
>        This time, I'm curious about installing a quality (at least 4
>speakers) stereo system in a B roadster, without cutting any metal.  Has
>anyone out there accomplished this?  If not, any ideas?  I don't want to
>create a rattling boom-mobile (heaven forbid), but I'd like something with
>enough power to sound good at 60+ mph with the top down ie. a couple full
>range speakers, directional tweeters, and maybe even an 8 inch subwoofer or
>two.  Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks,

> ________________________
>[       JASON DUTT       ]
>[ simjason@ix.netcom.com ]
> \----------------------/
>  \  1972 MGB Roadster /
>   \__________________/

Unless you can mount the tweeters so they are aimed at your ears, don't even
bother.  The directivity of a piston sound source is (if I remember right) :

        theta = .61*lambda/a*a

where, theta is the half angle, lambda is the wavelength, and a is the
effective radius of the transducer.  A typical tweeter at 10 khz has a main
beam angle of approximately 10-20 degrees.  Most people mount these in the
door and beam the sound right into their knee.  Instead spend your money on
a better built mid range that will survive the heat of the automobile
environment.

Don Mathis,Ph.D.
LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES
donmathis@lucent.com