Re: Color me red

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Color me red
From: Andrew Murdock <Andrew.Murdock@cdc.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 15:32:08 +0100
At 09:24 AM 9/10/96 -0400, you wrote:

>>So I live about 200 miles from the paint shop that painted his car.  I
>>don't want to take it up there for paint (I plan on stripping everything
>>down and towing it to the painter).  So, does anyone out there know if
>>'Swift Red' is a standard color for anything?  I would really like to
>>have the paint mix codes so my local paint guy can mix it up himself.  I
>>thought that Miracle Auto Body might have been a chain although there are
>>none in my area.  I haven't called the guy in San Jose that painted the
>>car I saw.  Are paint codes secret?  If I just called him up and asked,
>>do you think he'd give me the codes?
>>
>>Any ideas?

OK, spoke to the fount of all knowledge (my old man), who although he didn't
have the book with him at the auto shop, says that the colour is called
Chariot Red, and that if you or anyone else has a copy of "The Original MGA"
by Anders Clausager it contains the correct paint codes to order including a
DuPont paint code for the US, which obviously your local paint shop should
be able to order.

This is the reference that he uses for restoring his cars (mainly A's at the
moment) and I can tell you that he is VERY pernickity about getting it
absolutely right.

Wish he'd get a damn Internet connection, reckon he would be a pretty good
asset to the list, still until a service provider puts a PoP in his part of
Florida he won't do it...

Andrew

*Control Data Ltd, The Abbey Barn,      * Control Data as an organisation*
*Abbey Green, Chertsey.Surrey.KT16 8RF  * is much too smart to agree with*
*Tel : 01932 566123; Fax : 01932 571469 * anything I have to say !       *