Re: CA BGT for TX fool

To: "W. Lee Vick, Jr." <wlvick@pobox.micro.ti.com>
Subject: Re: CA BGT for TX fool
From: Stephen Peter Mirams <mirams@bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:38:27 +1000 (EST)
Lee,

Go for it. As long as there is no rust as he has promised. When checking
the body for rust, take the wheels off and have a look at the splines.
(Remember sharp is bad) Also when taking it for a test run, make sure
there is no whining from the diff (expensive) and look for excessive blue
smoke etc. when atarting and accelearating. Also watch the tach to make
sure the idle is smooth. These things mentioned above are all v.expensive
to fix so I thought I'd mention those. Otherwise standard checks and
hopefully all goes well. Tyres aren't all that expensive depending on
what brands you go for. If you do a lot of driving and like to give the
car a good go then best opt for better quality, however, the standard
radials can do the job quite well. I run Pirelli's on my Midget because I
use the car every day and have found these to be fantastic (wear and
grip) even though they are a little on the expensive side.

Once again, I think the car sounds great. I'm from Australia so I'm not
sure on prices for MG's however I used to live in TX about 4 yrs ago and
based on the price I paid for a Cavalier at that time, $2900 sounds
reasonable to me.

Just remember to keep a level head when looking at the car, don't get
too carried away with the exitement of buying it, but most of all make
sure you go with your gut feeling about the car. (You'll probably know
that after driving it)

Goo luck and let us know about your trip home if you do decide to buy

Cheers,

Steve
96 Midget