Re: What kind of Transmission Oil for TD?

To: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Subject: Re: What kind of Transmission Oil for TD?
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 07:04:09 -0700
At 10:15 AM 9/13/96 +0000, you wrote:
>I've been following the controversy about motor oil v.s. gear oil
>in the MGB. Some have warned about gear oil eating brass
>parts. Would this apply to the T series cars? I've been using
>common Valvoline SAE 90-140 rated GL5 in my TD. Am I being
>paranoid? What are you other T owners using in your
>transmissions?
>
>Bob Donahue, Still stuck in the '50s
>52 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
>71 MGB, still in the shop, 11 months and counting

Hi Bob,

I use straight 140 gear oil in my TC's gearbox but plan on a change very
soon.  Our local T series expert uses Redline sythentic 80-140 in both his
TA and TC and swears by it.  He claims  that in the TA it's like having a
rebuilt transmission.  I HOPE to get some in to mine soon.  I'll let you
know how it works.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT