RE: Speedo woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Speedo woes
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:39:49 -0400
<  The speedo needle was swinging wildly.  When
<I fould the pinion housing broken where the cable threads on,
<I was sure I had my culprit. So I got a replacement hosuing.
<
<Although the new housing does fix the broken hosing problem,
<it does NOT fix the wild speedo needle problem.  Any ideas?

The speedometer itself wears out quite easily.  Remove the glass, Pointer,
and face, and look closely at the little locating bar on the front of the
mechanism, and you will probably find that what used to be a perfectly round
hole positioning the tiny shaft that the needle slides through is worn egg
shaped.

Should look like this

-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

probably worn like this:

-----------------------------------
                   0

as speed increases the drag on the little shaft that runs through that hole
increases, so the needle jumps wildly, and is increasingly in error.
You can delay the inevitable replacement of the speedometer by flipping the
little bracket upside down.

Pretty confusing until you take one apart.  I've destroyed several figuring
them out.

David Riker
69 Midget