Re: Ignition switch '78 B

To: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition switch '78 B
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@mail.ic.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 22:49:23 -0400
Jason F. Dutt wrote:

> Robert Torrens wrote:
> >
> > I don't have anything for a '72. My first and only is the '78 I currently
> > drive. Went to  Brit car show and swap meet in Portland over Labor Day and
> > decided that I need to go in the direction of chrome bumpered cars. It does
> > nothing but rain here so I'm thinking a GT. AT any rate, there is a place
> > in POrtland that carrries new and used MG stuff so if there is something
> > specific I can ask around.
> >
> > BTW, I will be very happy to reimburse you for any postage. Again, many
>thanks.
> >
> > Bob Torrens
> >
> > BT
>
> No problem; it was just a thought.
>
> My first MG was the 79 from which the switch you are about to recieve came
>from.  I replaced it,
> mistakenly thinking it was bad.  The problem turned out to be the ignition's
>brainbox.  I sold that car to
> get the 72 I have now.
>
> Chrome bumpered cars are generally considered more attractive (me included,
>obviously), but that's not the
> best thing about them, in my opinion.  The have a lower ride height (about 4"
>lower) than the rubber
> bumpers, which not only lends to appearance, but improves handling
>significantly.
>
> By the way, don't worry about the postage.  Generally, if I have an
>inexpensive part (under $10) lying
> around that I don't see myself needing anytime soon, and can be replaced
>easily, I'll send it to an MG
> buddy who needs it.  No need to let it rot!
>
> Regards,

Jason-

I am sure that I am one of the few listee's that PREFER the rubber
bumper styling, so I won't start an argument about style - but I think
you need to get your facts straight.  The ride height on the
rubber-bumper cars was higher than stock, by approximatley 1.5".  This
increase in height can be offset by a great degree by going to a lower
profile tire.

4"!!!!  You make us sound like we run 33" monster mudder tires!

Best Regards,

Chris Delling