Cleaning Spark Plugs circa 1914

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cleaning Spark Plugs circa 1914
From: wise@db.erau.edu (John A. Wise)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 10:18:49 -0800
----- Don Mathis wrote ------
>I take my spark plugs out before a long trip and clean them using a
>motorized wire brush.  It does a great job.  However, I "feel" like the
>cleaned spark plugs eventually don't do as well as new plugs....
--------- end snip -------------

Related story:  I once read a true story of a 200 mile flight in an
aircraft circa 1914.  During the flight the plot landed every half hour to
change plugs.  He carried a can of acetone in which he would store the used
plugs.  The plan was for a half hour of vibrating in acetone to clean the
plugs so they would be ready for use at the next landing.  While the flight
had many adventures and forced landings (including the literal complete
loss of an entire cylinder in flight, which was later found in a field &
reinstalled) there was no spark plug fouling reported.

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Center for Aviation/Aerospace Research          Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA