Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #388 Sun Sep 22 02:05:02 MDT 1996

Subject: Re: mgs@autox.team.net digest #388 Sun Sep 22 02:05:02 MDT 1996
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 09:35:57 -0700
(snip)

>         Now I know why the water jacket area of the Sunbeam Talbot engine I
> bought in New Mexico is full of _heavy_ unbelievable rust! You guys in warm
> southern climates don't use antifreeze! Shame! Just because your car
> anti-corrosion properties and it certainly DOES NOT lower the boiling point
> of the coolant.
>

> >For California, use only distilled water without coolant as you have a
> >non-sealed system. I recently heard of a source of stainless steel freeze
> >plugs, but the address eludes me.

(snip)

Just in case anyone has any doubt, look on the back of a bottle of
antifreeze.  The one in my garage says that a 50/50 mixture will raise
the boiling point to 226 degrees, versus 212 for water.  A pressurized
system (15 pounds) would have a boiling point of 265 degrees, although I
don't know by how much the pressurization alone would raise the boiling
point of plain water (the difference of 39 degrees? or does it not work
that way? any chemistry profs out there?).  A previous post mentioned
that antifreeze does not transfer heat as well as water and should
therefore not be used at 100%.  One way to counteract that is to use
Redline's "Water Wetter" which is supposed to increase the heat
transferability (meaning the efficiency of heat moving from the iron to
the coolant).  It's available at Pep Boys.  The local T series owners
(which have non-pressurized systems) swear by it.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX