Re: Strange knocking sound

To: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Subject: Re: Strange knocking sound
From: Robert Hughes <orelake.bob@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 01:35:04 +0000
Ross,
This is the first I have read about your brakes. Are all wheels affected?
Also, have glanced at some messages about silicone breake fluid, so I may be
repeating something you have already read. If you are using silicone brake
fluid:
John Twist, University Motors says, "When the master cylinder piston is at
rest, positioned all the way forward in the master cylinder bore, a small
bleed hole is exposed allowing movement of fluid in and out of the master
cylinder resevoir. Silicone fluid can swell the master cylinder primary cup
so greatly that this tiny bleed hole is covered and pressure can be built up
within the brake hydrolic circuit.".....They will eventually lock up.....

Bob Hughes
Brighton, MI

At 11:42 PM 9/20/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Ok the saga continues:
>
>I put the caliper and pads back together, the wheel still turns freely.  I
>apply pressure to the brakes and guess what the caliper is locked up on the
>rotor.  Can't budge the rotor at all.  Car still on Jack stands so don't
>know if it will move under it's own power (I imagine it will). Any way, am I
>automatically set up for a rebuild?  I would think so, or is the problem
>something else?  I bled that caliper again and there wasn't a bubble one
>so........ Thoughts , comments, ideas.  If I need to rebuild, I want order
>the parts tomorrow, so any responses tonight would be appreciated.
>
>Safety fast!
>
>Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.

Bob Hughes