65 MG idle question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 65 MG idle question
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 1996 22:42:01 -0700
For as long as I've owned this car (6 years now) I've never been
able to get it to idle smoothly.  The engine (although not the head)
has been completely overhauled, as have the carbs.

The symptom is, when it is warm out (daytime summer temperatures) the
idle begins to drop and it begins to idle very lumpily.  If I put my
foot on the pedal and raise the idle a few hundred RPM it smoothes out,
but left to its own, it drops to around 500 RPM and gets very lumpy.

Seems to me that it is heat related...I've tweaked and tweaked idle
screws, and mixture, it runs well everywhere else...but it's just no
fun to listen to it idle so lumpy.

Anyone else have this problem?  Wondered if it was excessive heat
boiling the fuel in the float bowls....just drove it home tonight and
it was fine (cooler out doncha know)....but the engine was not as hot
as it normally is.  Seems to happen when the temp gauge runs over
190 degrees.

For the record, rebuilt waterpump, rebuilt radiator, 190 degree
thermostat, also running water wetter (TM)

Best Regards,
TJ

--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto               CA      USA
http://www.rahul.net/tjn